Is vinyl siding the horrible thing that everyone makes it out to be? I don’t believe so, and here is a balanced view at the vinyl siding pros and cons:
Vinyl Siding Pros
- Vinyl siding is the cheapest type of house siding available.
- Vinyl siding requires no painting.
- Vinyl siding is very easy to clean–no power washer or special liquids.
- Vinyl siding is a highly competitive industry, so homeowners can often negotiate good deals with siding companies and get extra perks like gutters and window casing.
- Vinyl siding can be installed very quickly, usually in less than a week.
Vinyl Siding Cons
- Vinyl siding, a petroleum product, is more flammable than other types of siding.
- Vinyl siding can crack when hit by a rock from a lawnmower or something similar.
- Vinyl siding will melt when subjected to even moderate heat: a barbeque grill placed nearby or even reflection from a neighboring window.
- Vinyl siding is widely viewed as “cheap,” so potential home-buyers may look down on it.